Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

perfect match.

As crazy as life can get, and how much time we don't have.... I have always held deep in my heart.... to volunteer. I was going to school, working 2 jobs, and helping out wherever I could with events, and maintaining a relationship when I signed up to volunteer as a "Big Sister" with Big Brother Big Sister. I was called "crazy", and a lot of times I thought I was as well. But wow, was it worth it!
I met the most amazing little girl to have as a "Little Sister". We have been matched for over 2 years now, and to see the way she has evolved into a young little lady has amazed me. It was a perfect match. When we met, she was 7. She was sassy and clearly needed someone to really listen to her.

I'll never forget when we met she looked at me and said
"you have really pretty teeth.... I love you".
I like to know that I have had a great influence on her, but I think she has had a greater influence on me. She has taught me to experience life at every chance. Dance to every song. Say how you feel.... (of course I have taught HER.... you can't say EVERYTHING!). Most of all, this girl has taught me to be a good friend and to listen.

The Big Brother Big Sister program is an amazing volunteer opportunity. I love it so much that I have pursued others to join and even helped coordinate the auction fundraisers. The time needed is not much. In the first year they ask to meet with your "little" 2-4 times a month. After the year is up they re-eval and ask for you to continue if interested. Money is not an issue. They don't ask for a dime. Anything you do with your "little" is covered by the parent, and you cover your own costs for the activity.

My "little" and I have moved on from being just a match (like most do), and now are considered friends in our eyes. We are total girls and get easily distracted by glitter, pink, and cute boys. :) We enjoy crafts and coloring together. We love Applebees for the mini desserts, Trophy cupcakes, and teenybop music. We love to go ice skating, shop, and singing in the car. I call her "diva".

Now, off to plan our next activity. Trying to think of something fun we have never done together. Maybe once the weather gets nicer, we'll hit a bike trail like we've been talking about!



If YOU are interested in volunteering with this great program click here http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.9iILI3NGKhK6F/b.5962335/k.BE16/Home.htm

and find the organization near you!

3 comments:

  1. Let's do a session with the two of you soon! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I was totally thinking of that! I was actually dreaming of ideas of a shoot after I wrote that. She would love that! I bet it could even be a great promo for BBBS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's make a plan of action and get to it!

    ReplyDelete