Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Meat my lifestyle.

I have now been a vegetarian for 18 years. (Wow, I haven't really thought about how long it really has been). I made the life-changing decision when I was just 10 years old. I know, my poor parents..... but it wasn't that bad for them (at least I don't think). I always remember my mom having 3 pots on the stove when making spaghetti.... noodles, sauce, sauce sans-meat. Easy. I was a veg before it became a health fad and WAY before "Meatless Mondays" were incorporated into households. I didn't starve.


I didn't ever get sick from lack of protein (actually, I rarely even got sick!).


I did not preach or push my lifestyle on anyone.


It changed my life completely!


(did I mention I was 10?)


It has never been a burden on ME, nor have I made it a burden on other people (again, at least I don't think). When I was younger there were not nearly as many substitutes as there are now for the non-meat eaters. I pretty much had GardenBurger as an option. Going to McDonalds with friends and their parents was always so uncomfortable for me. I would order a burger with "everything on it, except the meat". Then that would be the entire conversation for the whole meal. Just until recently, that still seemed to be the topic when I would eat with new people.


Being a vegetarian has really transformed the way I choose to eat. Of course, I have my fall backs, but I regularly choose good, wholesome, food without discretion. I think about what I have ate during the day and become aware of what I am lacking. I feel more in tact with my inner body than I think most people do. I pay attention to what is needed and know when I am missing a key element to my intake of protein, iron, Omega-3's, etc.... Knowing the decision I made at such a young age, gives me confidence that I can make any change if my heart is in it.

(Sugar.... You are going down!)


Here are a couple of books I have enjoyed, and that have inspired me to take Veg to a whole other level.


{On the "To Read" List} "The Veganist" by Kathy Freston.


http://www.kathyfreston.com/ I watched her on Oprah, but read an amazing and inspiring article in this months issue of Town & Country http://www.townandcountrymag.com/


Aj





2 comments:

  1. Really LOVE the way you express yourself, you should be a writer, happy to have found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you so much for the compliment! My blog is definitely allowing me to express myself in a very unusual way, that I am not use to. Happy that you have found my blog too!

    ReplyDelete