Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I've been Booked.

I have mentioned before the book "Take Time for Your Life" by Cheryl Richardson. I often go back to this book when I am trying to put things in perspective and need some guidance. When I first listened to this on Audio, I was hooked! I could not wait to make the 50 minute drive to class each day, just so I could have my "drive-by therapy session". LOVE!

Here are some subjects that the book covers to create a life tailored to YOU.

{Put yourself at the top of the list}
It makes sense, this would be the first category.... but can very much be the hardest skill to perfect. She explains "extreme self care" and how to obtain it in everything you do. Building the one relationship that is most important, the one with yourself is "extreme self care". It's finding your inner wisdom and exploring what make YOU thrive in life.

{Get your priorities straight}
Oh, do I struggle with this!? Setting priorities that are important to you, and not what life is throwing at you. Keep focused and do not let people, things, and events distract you. She has great questionnaires to answer in the book that really makes you think and appreciate the knowledge that can be found.

{What’s draining you}
What isn't? :) It's that pile of clothes that you need to bring to the Goodwill, it's that phone call you need to return, it's that person that complains about their relationship but doesn't do anything about it, or that person that gives you negative energy all the time. Figure out what and who makes your muscles tighten up and frustrates you. Sometimes you just need to call it how it is, and make a change.

{Invest in your financial health}
I love this one! I'll never forget when I was super strapped on money and I was so angry of the way that I had been spending. I told myself that I will change. I need to change. I put my iPod on shuffle and this exact chapter of this book came on. SLAP! The goal in this chapter is to build a respectful relationship with your money. If you respect it, it respects you. I began to tighten the strings on where my money was going. I was not heading to get a coffee every morning; I would keep only a little amount in my checking account to restrain myself.

So one late night, I went to pump gas at a station and my respect paid off. Literally! I looked down and saw some cash on the ground. I went to bring it in to the cashier (who looked like he would probably not return it to the rightful owner), and I turned around and sat in my car with the doors locked. (I was in a super shady area!) I sat there for about 15 minutes waiting to see if someone was looking around for "something", and I planned to return it.
Nothing.
Then, my "Wise Self", thought "this is my reward for earning respect with my finances". I truly felt it was a blessing. I did not first think "Yes, I hit the jackpot!". I first was concerned about who lost this money. So, the $200 went to the bill on top of my list.

{What’s fueling you}
Where are your natural adrenaline rushes coming from? Exercise? Friends? Sports? Art? A hobby? Volunteering? Embrace those and skip the caffeine and alternative adrenaline sources.

{Build a ‘‘soulful’’ community}
What people do you have in your life that support your choices in life? Who encourages you and helps YOU become a better YOU? Keep these people, and let go of the ones that do not support you. Remember the more negative you let go, allows more positive to fill that space.

{Honor your spiritual well-being}
Nurture yourself. Treat yourself in all that you are doing to live life to it's fullest. Practice your self care and honor that in the way you need to keep going.


I highly suggest checking out this book. I do not do it any justice, but I ABSOLUTELY ADORE IT! This book was actually the motivation I needed to volunteer my time as a "Big Sister" at Big Brother Big Sister.


Happy Reading!


http://www.cherylrichardson.com/


AJ



No comments:

Post a Comment